07 September 2005

Quiet night


MG midget front wing
Originally uploaded by Maltpress.

I'm very tired tonight, so I'm trying to keep work to a minimum. Feeling a little under the weather for some reason.

I don't have a huge amount to do except refining the service offering. I think I can do that now; I've had a day away from it, and really not thinking about it, except at lunch.

I had a very nice lunch with a friend from work. We put the world to rights and talked about my plans (and hers) - and explaining things to her helped me get my head straight about some of the things I'd honestly not thought about. I've always been very grateful for my friends and family, but doing this, I think I'm even more appreciative - having someone to bounce ideas off, who's supportive but not afraid to tell you when you're wrong - it's very important. As dad always says, it's not what you know, but who you know. Obviously knowing something helps, but knowing when you don't know as much as you think - and knowing who to ask when you need to find things out - that's pretty important.

That was rather self-help lifestyle coach talk, for which I apologise. It won't happen again.

Anyway, despite the astronomical price of petrol at the moment, I decided to make the most of the sunshine (and show off to the friend I had lunch with) and drove my little baby to work today. Doesn't quite fit my plan to save petrol money this month by driving the bare minimum, but I think - given that I had a bad day yesterday and needed cheering up - it was worth it.

There's something about the burble of an A-Series engine in third gear as you pull away from a 30mph limit which can't help but bring a smile to your face.

And with that incredibly petrol-head comment, I'll leave you for the evening.

No comments: